Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

THE COLUMBUS SCHOOL SPECIFIC FACTS

THE SCHOOL

Founded in 1947 in Medellin, the Columbus School is a private, co-ed, non-denominational institution that offers an educational program from K4 through 12th grade for students of all nationalities.


THE CITY

Medellin is a city with a population of 3,500,000, set in a valley surrounded by mountains. It is 1,524 meters above sea level and enjoys an ideal climate with temperatures ranging from 16º C to 32º C.

The city is a cultural center, proud of its modern buildings, clubs and active social life. Trips within the country are usually made by plane. However, public land transportation may lead the curious visitor to many nearby interesting towns.


ORGANIZATION

The School is governed by a Board of Directors, comprising of seven members appointed for a three year term by the School’s General Assembly. Membership is conferred to parents or guardians who have enrolled their sons or daughters at the Columbus School.


CURRICULUM

Our curriculum is a university preparatory curriculum. Students receive instructions both in English and Spanish. All grades are accredited by the Colombian Ministry of Education, thus any of our students may enroll in Colombian universities. The School is also accredited by AdvancED (entity that guarantees international level education quality).


TEACHERS

We have 146 full-time teachers during the school year, including 59 North American citizens, 81 Colombians and 6 from other nationalities. Classrooms range from 20 to 25 students.


ENROLLMENT

We have 1,472 students enrolled, 98% are Colombian and the remaining 2% are from other nationalities. Enrollment is divided as follows: 743 in Elementary School; 331 in Middle School; and 348 in High School.


FACILITIES

The Columbus School is set on a 22 hectare campus, 30 minutes from the city of Medellin. The average temperature on our campus ranges from 13º C to 24º C. Educational facilities have over 70 spacious classrooms: eight science labs and four computer halls with laptops for students in the three schools; two libraries; three gyms, two soccer fields, an athletic track, a baseball field, separate fields and hard tracks for elementary students; an outdoor theater for 400 spectators, a Fine Arts Center with eight music halls and art classrooms, an auditorium for 270 spectators, an art gallery; a Professional Development and Curriculum Center, teacher lounges and work areas.


TRANSPORTATION

The School provides transportation service (round trip) for its employees.


Photo
Tutorial Sign In | Follow us in: Site Map